Stepney Station (26); Carpenter Station (81); Twin Oaks Station (86); Holmes Station (104); and Llanwellyn Station (104).

In March, 1891 a small group of B&O Railroad employees set out from Baltimore riding on a railroad hand cart to inspect and photograph bridges and stations along the recently completed 111-mile Philadelphia Division linking Baltimore and Philadelphia. Under the supervision of Division Engineer Maintenance-of-Way William A. Pratt and Foreman of Bridges and Buildings George W. Andrews, the group photographed 78 bridges and culverts spanning rivers, creeks, runs, and roads in Maryland, Delaware and Pennsylvania, and 37 of the nearly 70 stations along the line. The resulting album containing 129 cyanotype photographs depicts a variety of late 19th-century railroad architecture and engineering works.

Curated by Jennifer Ambrose.


Bridges and Buildings, Philadelphia Division, Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Photograph Album Online Exhibition

Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Photograph Album