Mellon Scholars Summer Internship and Workshop Program in African American History
The Library Company of Philadelphia’s Program in African American History (PAAH), with the support of the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, is pleased to offer the following summer opportunities for 2023.
- The Mellon Scholars Internship Program (June 2023). Interns will be rising seniors or recent college graduates and will receive a $1,500 stipend and additional support for travel and housing.
- The Mellon Scholars Summer Workshop (June 2023) is a one-week professional development program. Workshop participants will be students in their first year of graduate study in an MA program or advanced undergraduates. Participants will receive a $500 stipend and additional support for travel and housing.
Applications for the summer 2023 Mellon Scholars Internship Program and Summer Workshop are due by March 1, 2023. Decisions will be made by April 15, 2023.
Eligible candidates may apply for both the workshop and the internship. If you wish to apply for both opportunities, check both boxes on the application form. To apply:
- Go to the application page; fill out the online form and upload a single PDF document containing a brief resume and a 2-4 page personal statement describing future goals and how the internship or workshop would further those goals.
- One letter of recommendation from a faculty member familiar with the applicant’s academic work should be sent to Jasmine Smith, Curator of African American History and Assistant Director of the Program in African American History, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In addition, official undergraduate and graduate (if applicable) school transcripts should be mailed to: Library Company of Philadelphia, Attn: Mellon Scholars Internship and Workshop Committee, 1314 Locust Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107.
For more information about the Mellon Scholars Program and application guidelines, contact Dr. Deirdre Cooper Owens, Program Director (email@example.com) and Jasmine Smith, Assistant Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)