Applications for 2024–25 long-term postdoctoral fellowships have closed. Applications for 2025–26 long-term postdoctoral fellowships will open in 2024.
How to apply
- Prepare a pdf file containing the required elements listed in the “Application Elements” section below; name the file using this format: Lastname_Firstname_application.
- Complete the application form (available below) and follow instructions for uploading the pdf file. Your application will be considered for all postdoctoral fellowship opportunities for which you are eligible.
- Request two letters of recommendation; see guidelines below.
- If you have questions, need assistance, or need to resubmit, email email@example.com.
Scholars at any stage of their career are welcome to apply.
Applicants for postdoctoral fellowships in the Program in African American History and the Program in Early American Economy and Society may be citizens of any country and must hold a PhD by September 1 of the year of fellowship residency. While international applicants for these opportunities are welcome, the Library Company is not able to provide visa sponsorship, but we may be able to serve as a host institution with an outside agency serving as sponsor; in such instances, the fellow must bear the costs of sponsorship.
Applicants for NEH Postdoctoral Fellowships must have completed all degree requirements, except for the actual conferral of the degree, by the application deadline. Applicants must be United States citizens or foreign nationals who have lived in the United States for the three years immediately preceding the application deadline.
Prepare a single PDF file containing the following elements; name the file using this convention: Lastname_Firstname_application:
- optional cover letter
- project abstract (ca. 150 words)
- narrative proposal (single-spaced, not to exceed 1,500 words), including an overview of your research and description of how Library Company collections (and, if relevant, Historical Society of Pennsylvania collections) will support your research
- brief CV (not to exceed four pages)
- writing sample (no more than 25 pages, not including end notes)
Letters of recommendation
Two letters of recommendation should be uploaded here directly by the writers. The applicant will receive an automatically generated email message confirming when a letter has been uploaded.
We are eager to receive your application and happy to help with any questions you may have. If you need to resubmit, have issues with the application portal, or have any questions, write to Fellowships Manager Christine Nelson (firstname.lastname@example.org).